About Catholic Community Services of Utah

Since 1945, Catholic Community Services of Utah has been empowering people in need along the Wasatch Front to reach self-sufficiency. By giving strength to the weakest in our midst, CCS is able to lovingly serve and provide hope to those with the greatest need in our community regardless of race, religion or personal circumstance.

Our Mission

Our mission is to practice gospel values of love, compassion and hope through service, support and collaboration.

As an agency affiliated with the Catholic Diocese of Salt Lake City, we will:

  • Work in partnership with other social service organizations.
  • Respect diversity, individual needs, beliefs and values.
  • Be fiscally responsible to our donors.
  • Involve volunteers in fulfilling our mission.
  • Base our activities on the foundations of Catholic Social Teaching.

Our History

Catholic Community Services of Utah (CCS) started in 1945 when Most Reverend Duane G. Hunt of the Catholic Diocese of Salt Lake City recognized the need for an organized effort to assist the poor and needy.

Starting from a tiny office, CCS has expanded to include four sites that deliver basic social services to those in need along the Wasatch Front and Northern Utah.

Catholic Community Services of Utah incorporated to administer adoption, poverty assistance, foster care, and family counseling programs.
1945

Became a United Way agency. Transient & emergency services established.
1950s

St. Vincent de Paul Thrift Shop and Soup Kitchen opened.
1960s

Refugee Resettlement and Refugee Foster Care Programs initiated.
1970s

Several new programs added: Elderly Outreach, Immigration Services, Aid to the Disabled, Marillac House, and expanded services to Northern Utah with a new office in Ogden.
1980s

Weigand Homeless Resource Center constructed, substance abuse programs initiated, Northern Utah programs expanded to include rental assistance, food pantry, housing resources, and serving persons with HIV/AIDS.
1990s

St. Martha's Baby Project initiated with the help of the Sisters of Saint Benedict in Ogden. Northern Utah operations are officially designated as a food bank.
2000s

Bridging the Gap program created in Northern Utah. St. Vincent de Paul Dining Hall reconstructed. All Administrative offices and Migration and Refugee Services relocated to a newly purchased and renovated building at 224 North 2200 West.
2010s

Construction began on a new facility to house Northern Utah programs in Ogden. Construction is expected to be complete by June 1, 2021.
2020s