"When an alien resides with you in your land, do not molest him. You shall treat the alien who resides with you no differently than the natives born among you; have the same love for him as for yourself; for you too were once aliens in the land of Egypt. I, the Lord, am your God." (Lv. 19: 33-34)
For more than 20 years, the Immigration program at Catholic Community Services of Utah has been providing essential services that help reunite families and allow new citizens realize their American Dream.
What We Do
The primary purpose of the program is to provide full legal representation to immigrants and refugees when they submit applications to ‘legalize’ or upgrade their immigration status. CCS also provides individual consultations to immigrants, refugees and even U.S. citizens who have questions about immigration laws, procedures and basic eligibility.
CCS provides these immigration consultations by appointment Monday–Friday or by walk-in every Wednesday. Please call 801-977-9119 to schedule an appointment.
How We Help
Catholic Community Services of Utah employs immigration attorneys, legal representatives and an immigration case manager who file more than 1,000 immigration applications every year. The primary applications filed by CCS are applications for permanent residence (green cards), applications for U.S. citizenship, applications to sponsor/reunite with a close family member who lives overseas and applications to replace or renew identity documents issued by immigration.
The CCS legal staff is also available to consult refugees and immigrants who are placed in deportation proceedings. Individuals who face deportation frequently have the right to apply to stay in the U.S. and CCS can help individuals understand the rights of someone who may face deportation. It is imperative for the members of communities to be able to turn to legal experts who can dispel myths, and explain immigration laws and rules in a language they can understand.
Migration and Refugee Services Director & DOJ Accredited Representative
Aden Batar: 801-428-1254
For citizenship, DACA and general consults in English
Alyssa Williams: 801-428-1255
For DV related questions, DACA and general consults in English or Spanish
Emily McKenzie: 801-428-1259
For DACA and general consults in English or Spanish
Rosario Corona: 801-428-1256
For DACA and citizenship and refugee immigration questions in English or Spanish
Heather Johnson-Gutierrez: 801-428-1258
For removal/deportation and detention questions in English or Spanish
Virginia Maynes: 801-428-1323
For More Information on Immigration Services in Utah:
- Holy Cross Ministries offers specialized immigration services for victims of domestic violence as well as immigration legal services to individuals who apply for green cards, citizenship and family reunification.
- Utah Legal Services offers a wide variety of legal services for low-income Utahns and some immigration services for migrant farm workers and victims of trafficking and domestic violence.
- Although CCS sponsors one of the largest and most successful citizenship programs in Utah, most applicants who apply must take and pass a test which requires they demonstrate a knowledge of how to speak, read and write English and an understanding of U.S. History and Civics. Many ESL programs sponsor citizenship classes, but CCS frequently refers immigrants and refugees who need more individualized and intensive instruction to the English Skills Learning Center of Utah.
- Volunteers who are interested in finding out more information about the US citizenship test and a sample curriculum for teaching citizenship can visit the Catholic Legal Immigration Network’s resource page.
- Immigration law is practiced before federal administrative agencies. The major federal agency charged with disseminating information about immigration applications and benefits is the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service, find out more about USCIS.
- Many family or community members who have heard that a loved one was apprehended by immigration enforcement authorities can use this online tool to find out more info.